Ozone VS Ultraviolet Disinfection

Ozone and ultraviolet are now common disinfection methods. They are widely used in many fields. But what are the differences between the two?

Working Principles
Ozone is produced by ionizing oxygen (02) in the air into reactive oxygen (03). Ozone sterilization is at bacteriolytic level. Its sterilization is thorough, with no residue produced in the process. Ozone can kill bacteria and spores, viruses, fungi, and can also destroy botulinum toxin. Ozone not only has a strong killing effect on a variety of bacteria, but also very effective in killing mold. Factors affecting ozone sterilization include humidity, temperature, fresh air volume, ozone amount, ozone sterilization time and so on. Ozone can simultaneously disinfect air, surfaces and water.
Ultraviolet light can cause the break of bacterial DNA chain after being absorbed by bacteria, resulting in the breakdown of nucleic acid and protein crosslinking. Ultraviolet light kills the biological activity of bacterial nucleic acid, resulting in the death of bacteria. Ultraviolet sterilization is a at bactericidal level, which cannot kill bacteria thoroughly. It basically has no killing effect on viruses.

Ozone is mainly used in the disinfection of air, objects and water. Ozone is also used in sewage treatment. In addition, it also has bleaching, water decolorization, in addition to odor removal, industrial oxidation reaction, treatment of diseases and many other aspects. Ozone also has high-efficiency and broad-spectrum properties. Ozone is less stable and will quickly break itself down into oxygen and individual oxygen atoms. Single oxygen atoms will then combine themselves into oxygen molecules without no toxic residue left. So, ozone is known as the clean disinfectant. And ozone is basically in the form of gas. In the process of sterilization, ozone gas can reach almost any position. Ozone can not only kill viruses directly, but also kill pyrogen viruses by killing the bacteria and microorganisms that the viruses dwell.
Ultraviolet light is mainly used in the processing line or the medical industry. Ultraviolet disinfection light can be used to disinfect the air and working surface in a room. For better disinfection effect for the operating table, the most appropriate height of the light should be 1-1.5m from the operating table.

If ozone is used in areas with direct contact with flammable and explosive gases, there should be gas replacement in advance. The equipment should be taken out as soon as possible when an ozone generator is used in places above 50℃ or below -20℃ or with high humidity. Long-term use in this environment will affect the service life of ozone generators. Long-term exposure to ozone will harm human body, so ozone generators cannot be used with person present in the room. After ozone disinfection, for safety concern, the disinfected room should be left unoccupied for 40 minutes for air ventilation before being reoccupied again.
During ultraviolet disinfection, workshops should be kept clean and dry in order to reduce the impact of dust and water mist on the equipment. When the temperature of the food workshop is lower than 20℃ or higher than 40℃, and the relative humidity is greater than 60%, the irradiation time of the ultraviolet disinfection light should be appropriately extended. The time length of ultraviolet disinfection light use and irradiation intensity are in inverse ratio relation. Its general service is usually less than 1000 hours. The light must be replaced after it is beyond its service life. Moreover, since ultraviolet irradiation is harmful to human skin and eyes, it cannot be used either with people present in the room.